Monday, May 9, 2011

My Name


Karl G. Maeser was to many an educator.  To other's he was a mentor and a friend.  To me, he is my Great, Great Grandfather.  I have his name.  His daughter was my Grandfather's mother.  Growing up I don't think I ever realized how important this name would become to me.  I guess I need to start from the beginning.

My mother would always tell me how important my middle name was.  She would tell me story after story about the man whose name I carry.  It didn't sink in until I went to EFY at BYU in 1996.  At the age of 16, I left home to spend a week with other teenagers at BYU.  I didn't know what to expect.  I was nervous.  It turned out to be one of the most special experiences of my young life.  14 years have passed, and I can still remember exactly what made that week so special.

Before I left, my mother reminded me that Karl G. Maeser had started BYU, and that there was a building named after him on campus.  She asked me to make sure I paid that building a visit.  I thought it was pretty cool that someone from my family tree had a building named after them.  My mother also told me that there was a statue outside of that building...I was thrilled.  As soon as I checked in, I couldn't wait to go find that building.

After a couple of days, I was finally able to go find the building.  It was starting to get dark, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to find the building and get back in time.  After walking for what seemed like forever, I finally found it.  My heart dropped.  Instantly I felt a connection like I had never before felt.  Off in the distance was this massive building almost glowing in the night.  Right in front was the statue my mother had told me about.


I stood there motionless in front of the statue.  I was amazed.  The night air was calm, and my mind couldn't comprehend that somehow I was related to this man.  For the first time in my life I realized there was more to my existence than just me.  There was a connection, and I could feel it.

I slowly walked into the building not sure what I was going to find.  As soon as I walked in, I noticed a wall with memorabilia from the life of Karl G. Maeser.  I slowly studied each picture and read each little piece of information.  As I came to the end of the wall, there was a quote on a little piece of paper written by Karl G. Maeser himself.  I had to get closer to read it.  It read:

"Be yourself, but always be your better self."

That quote hit me, and made me reevaluate my life up to that point.  I couldn't tell you how long I stood there looking at that quote, but it seemed like forever.  "Be your better self," kept ringing in my mind as if Karl himself was standing beside me whispering in my ear.

Next, I walked into a classroom that was two stories high. On the front wall above the blackboard hung a painting of Karl G. Maeser.  It was beautiful.  I sat down in one of the chairs at the front of the class, and looked at that painting.  I did a lot of thinking.  I carried this man's name.  It was apparent to me that I needed to be better.  I needed to stand for something. I made a lot of promises that day sitting in that chair looking up at that painting.  I promised him that I would live my life in a way that would make him proud of me.  I promised him that I would carry his name with honor and always stand for what is right.  I promised him I would always be my better self.  I cried a lot.

Have I kept all the promises I made that day? No.  I'm human, and I struggle each and every day.  As I have gotten older, I have often reflected on that day so long ago.  I haven't forgotten the promises I made.  I've just realized it will be a life long journey for me to keep them all.  I think now more than ever we all need to be our better selves.  In every situation I find myself in, I hear Karl asking me if I am being my better self.  I realize he is watching, wondering how I will keep his good name.

Every once in a while someone will ask me if I got my name form Karl G. Maeser.  I happily respond yes, and let them know he is my Great, Great Grandfather.  They always look at me, and say:

"Wow, you have big shoes to fill!"

I know, trust me.

Will I ever start a university? No.  Will I ever leave my wife and kids to serve 5 missions?  Probably not.  Will I ever become a world scholar?  For those of you who know me, the answer is obvious.  Here is what I can do.

1. I can have integrity
2. I can love my wife and be the best husband
3. I can love my children and help them become good people

Those may not be earth shattering, but it's a start.  Plus, I know that list makes him proud.


Karl G. Maeser was an amazing person.  He was a man who stood for truth no matter what situation he was in.  He was a man of integrity.  He was a great husband, father and friend.  He was everything I hope to become.

I carry his name each and every day, and I'm proud of that.  It may not be the most common name, but it means the world to me.

It's my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment