Tuesday, May 24, 2011

People I Admire 1.0 - Bishop Wilcox

*People I Admire will be a section where I write about people who have greatly influenced my life.  I will also draw that person as I remember them. Enjoy!



If there is one thing I am most proud of, it’s that I was able to serve a two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  

It is an accomplishment I will always cherish.  My mission was so important to me in ways I can’t express.  As I get older, I’m learning so much more about that experience that I never knew before.  My mission has helped me become a better man, a good husband and father.  There is not a day that goes by where I don’t think about my mission or the people I served.  It is my accomplishment, and it can never be taken away from me.

If it wasn’t for a humble bishop in Vancouver, WA, my mission wouldn’t have been possible.

Seriously

Bishop Wilcox was truly a man of God.  He was and still is an amazing man, husband and father.  He radiated goodness.  He was (is) humble, and so close to the Spirit.  He lead by example and was the first to wrap his arms around you, and tell you he loved you.  He was almost too good to be true.

Let me back up a little bit...

The summer before my senior year in high school, my best friend broke his neck.  It was a horrific accident that shook my world.  That accident made my world too real for comfort.  I didn’t understand how something like that could happen to someone so great.  I chose to question a lot of things, and I lost my way.

I chose to lose my way

Everything that I had ever planned for myself changed.  I wasn’t sure about anything anymore.  Because of all of that, I decided not to serve a mission.

Enter Bishop Wilcox 

He didn’t give up on me, and would not rest until I made it on a mission.  He knew deep down that I was meant to be a missionary.  He knew how much a mission would change my life.  He knew I would be a better person because of it.

There are two types of people:

1. Those who force you to do what they think is right

2. Those who lead by example, and invite you to follow  

Bishop Wilcox was the latter.  No matter what I was going through, he always told me how much he loved me.  He made sure that I knew he cared for me.

He meant it

As time went on, I realized how foolish I was to not want to serve a mission.  I worked with Bishop Wilcox to get myself ready.  He taught me so much about myself, but more importantly about the Savior.

Bishop Wilcox’s desire was to see all of us young men get on a mission, and serve an honorable mission.  This was his focus whenever he taught.  When he spoke, the spirit was there.  You couldn’t help but feel it. 

Bishop planned an activity at his house where all the young men would practice being missionaries.  We had practiced at church, and had been learning the first discussion.  We all met at his home, and talked about how to be a good missionary.  We each got to share our thoughts and feelings.  Bishop spoke about how important it was for all of us to commit that night to serving a mission, and never look back.  he taught us to listen and teach by the Spirit no matter what.  When he was done teaching us, we broke off in pairs, and practiced sharing the First Vision.  I was paired up with another young man who was close to serving a mission just like me.  We were to practice on Bishop in his living room. 

We sat on the sofa, and Bishop sat on a chair next to us.  We did everything just as we practiced and had been taught.  It was amazing.  When it came time to share Joseph Smith’s vision, it was my turn to share.  I took a deep breath and shared the vision the best I could.  As I was sharing, I noticed a tear run down Bishop’s cheek.  The Spirit was strong and very powerful! 

I was crying too

I knew without a doubt in that moment that serving a mission was a must for me!  I was going to do all I could to get myself on a mission.

After that experience, Bishop Wilcox helped me prepare for my mission.  He was there every step of the way.  I knew I could show up at his house at any given moment, and he would be available.  I can’t tell you how many times I received a phone call from him, or a note telling me to keep it up.  I can’t count how many times he shot hoops with me, just because.  The man was amazing.

When I finally received my mission call to serve in the Chile, Osorno Mission, guess who I called?

Bishop Wilcox

I had a lot of success on my mission.  I met people that I knew I was supposed to meet.  My life was forever changed.  I hold so many precious memories close to my heart, and to think I almost chose not to go...
 
Bishop Wilcox will never know the impact he has had on me.  I am a better man because of his example and love.  He taught me how to serve. 

I am in debt to Bishop Wilcox.  The only way I will ever be able to repay him, is to live the type of life I know he would want me to live.  A Christ centered life.

To that humble bishop who served so honorably so long ago, I thank you and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment