Monday, July 25, 2011

Coming Home 1.0



I open my eyes slowly.

I can feel the air coming through the open window next to my bed.

The scent of fresh bread cooking makes my stomach growl.

Turning on my side, I face the window.  For 180 nights, I have looked at the stars through this window.

Like an infection, the pain creeps into my heart.  I have to stop myself from crying again.

In 8 short hours I would be going home.

Osorno, Chile was my home.  Quietly I get on my knees; trying not to wake up my sleeping companion.  I offer what would be my last morning prayer in Chile.  My heart aches as I speak to my Maker.  I thank Him for the opportunity to have been amongst the great people of Chile.  I cry a lot.

My companion hears me and wakes up.  He has been in Chile for 6 weeks.  He looks at me and asks if I am OK.  I sit on the edge of my bed and look at him.  I once was where he now sits.  The memories came crashing back as I remembered the scared 19 year old missionary that wondered if his mission would ever end.  I sat up and told my companion how lucky he was to have his full mission ahead of him.  I tell him not to waste another minute.  I warn him that he will be sitting where I now sit, wondering where all the time went.

He looks at me with confusion.

I smile.

We kneel together and have our last companionship prayer.  His new companion will be arriving in 2 short hours.  We do our last study together.  I let him hit the showers first.  I wasn’t ready to face our Mammita.  I didn’t want to think about saying good-bye to her just yet.

I open my journal.

I raise my head and take a deep breath.  The smell of bread warms me.  I can feel the sun shining on my back.  With tears in my eyes, I wrote the last entry in my journal:

July 9, 2002

Where did the time go?  I am calm and happy.  I have grown so much.  I never thought leaving Chile would feel worse than when I left home 2 years ago.  I am leaving family that I know I will never see again in this life.  I am leaving places I will only be able to revisit in my heart.  2 years have passed in the blink of an eye.  I love my mission.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to have been able to serve.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sincerely,

Elder Anderson

I close my journal and lay down on my bed.

I shut my eyes and try to remember all the special people I have met.  I can see their faces, and it warms my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment