Thursday, July 28, 2011

Coming Home 1.3



I put on my suit coat and look in the mirror.

I can’t believe my 2 years are up.  I keep trying to figure out where all the time went.  It feels as if I just left the MTC.

2 Years.

I give my room one last look.  This has been home.  Some of the greatest missionary moments I experienced happened while I lived here. 

I take a deep breath and smile.

I grab my luggage and walk out the bedroom door for the last time.  I walk into the kitchen to find my companion and Mammita talking.  I’m glad my companion is making efforts to get close to Mammita.  She will need a new missionary to spoil once I am gone.

They hear me walk in and turn around.

My companion’s eyes are red.  He has been crying, or trying not to cry. 

The doorbell dings.  My ride and the missionary taking my place are here.

My companion gets up and walks to the door.

Mammita and I are alone.

She slowly stands up and walks over to me.  Her little chin is quivering.  I reach forward my hand, and she grasps them with both her hands.  She tells me I will always be her son, and that she loves me.  She tells me she will always wear the apron I bought her for as long as she lives.

We both are crying.

I want to hug this woman, but I remember the mission rules.

Mammita tells me to be strong, and go forward with faith.  I tell her how much she has meant to me.  I tell her I will carry her memory in my heart forever.  I promise to write.

My companion returns with the new missionary and a missionary from the office.  I give the new guy a good look up and down.  I hope he is a good one.  Mammita needed the best.

My companion has his head down.  I can tell he is trying his best not to let his emotions get the best of him.
I walk over to him and say, “This is it Elder!”

He looks up at me and smiles.  With one swift motion, he bear-hugs me.  “Thank you for teaching me how to be a good missionary Elder Anderson.”

“You are a natural Elder,” I respond.  “Keep up the good work. “

We look at each other with admiration.  I love this man.  I was his first companion, and he was my last.  It is a connection we will always hold close no matter what.  I realize in that moment that he had taught me so much more then I could ever teach him.  He was humble and a hard worker.  Together we baptized 6 souls.  He would go down as one of my favorite companions.

I look at the new missionary again.  He is looking around at his new surroundings.  I tell him to take good care of Mammita, but more importantly to look out for my companion.  He promises me he will do both.

I look at Mammita one last time.  She hasn’t stopped crying.

I turn and walk out of the kitchen with the missionary from the office.  I walk through the living room and up to the front door.  The pain is killing me.  This is so much harder than I could have ever imagined.  It felt worse than leaving home.

I open the front door and turn around.

Mammita and my companion are standing there.  My companion has his arm around Mammita. 

I smile at them, wave and walk outside.

Once in the car I am able to breath.  It is barely 10 in the morning, and I am already exhausted.  The missionary from the office is driving.  He is one of my favorites.  We have grown close the last couple of months.  He was still a new missionary and it showed.

“What does it feel like?” He asked keeping his eyes on the road. 

I think for a moment and respond, “Scary.”

"Did you eve think this day would come?"

I look out the window and reply, "Never."

He doesn’t ask any other questions, and I don’t think we said another word to each other.  He was letting me get one last look at my area in silence. 

I will never walk these streets again I thought to myself.

We pull up to the mission office.  The missionary tells me he will grab my things for me.  I slowly make my way in the building.  My interview with the Mission President is in 10 minutes.  I will be the first of 12 interviews today.

I walk up the stairs and into the office.  Church music is playing like always.  The Mission President sees me right away and comes forward to give me a hug.  He asks how I am doing.

I lie and say I am doing well.

He tells me to have a seat in his office.

I walk past the missionary board.  Every missionary serving in the Osorno, Chile mission has their picture on this board.  The pictures near the top are the ones going home.  I see that my picture is in that group.
 
I stop to look at my picture.

2 Years.

I let out a deep sigh and walk into the Mission Presidents office.  I walk to the window and look out over the view.

Osorno is breathtaking!

I will miss this place more than I can imagine.

I sit down and wait for my interview to begin.  This will be my last interview with the President.

I feel the tears in my eyes again.  I wipe one away just as the President walks through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment