![]() |
| Carlos and I playing his favorite game of Checkers - He was unbeatable! |
“We introduced ourselves to Carlos , and told him we were missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He got really excited, got up and left the room. My companion and I were left alone with the older woman.”
The mission President smiles as he continues to listen to my story.
“When Carlos came back in the room, he was carrying a Book of Mormon. I was shocked he had one. My companion asked him if he had read the book. Carlos nodded happily.” I stopped for a moment and thought about Carlos, and what he meant to me. I wish I could see him before I went home. He taught me so much.
“What happened next?” President Lopez asked.
“We found out the older woman in the room was his mother. She finally warmed up to us, and told us what happened to Carlos. Two years before, he had been listening to missionaries. He was excited about their message and wanted to learn more. One night after a discussion, Carlos had to go to town to buy some paint supplies for a project he was working on. Carlos was an amazing painter. While he was in town, he was attacked by a gang. They cut his throat and left him to die. Strangers saw what had happened and called the police. Carlos was rushed to the hospital. They weren’t sure he was going to live.”
President Lopez and I sit in silence for a moment. He can tell I am having a hard time telling this story.
“For two years he went through physical therapy. Because of the attack, he was left unable to speak. His mom had spent her life’s savings on her son’s medical bills. They moved to Puerto Varas, and had been living there for some time before we knocked on their door. His mom explained to us how angry she had been at God for allowing this to happen to her son. He was a gifted painter who made good money painting murals and paintings for people. She said that Carlos had taught himself how to paint with his left hand since the accident.
“My companion and I sat in silence once the older woman had finished talking. There were tears in her eyes, and I could feel them in mine as well. The woman then went on to tell us Carlos had taken all the lessons from the other missionaries, and that he was scheduled to be baptized.
“We were shocked. Elder Bronson looked over at Carlos, and asked if this was true. Carlos nodded with his now famous grin. We then asked Carlos and his mother if they would like to listen to our message again. Of course, Carlos agreed, but his mother wasn’t sure.”
President Lopez leaned forward in his chair and asked, “So did you teach him?”
I smiled and replied, “Yes, we taught Carlos and his family. Little did we know, but Carlos was one of seven brothers and sisters. Four of his siblings and their families lived nearby, and we were able to teach them as well.”
“That’s wonderful,” President Lopez said.
“Carlos was the first member of his family to be baptized. What a special experience that was for me. Because of Carlos and his example, several members of his family were baptized.”
![]() |
| My Friend Carlos on the day he was baptized |
President Lopez leaned forward and said, “What a great experience Elder.”
I look out the window and say, “I wonder what would have happened had my companion and I gave up that day instead of knocking that last street. It makes me realize how important it is to rely on the Lord, and do things in his time. Carlos had been waiting for the missionaries to come back to his house since his accident. I wonder how many missionaries passed his street without giving it a second thought.”
“You listened to the Spirit,” President Lopez responded lovingly. “You didn’t give up, and look what happened. What a great lesson to have learned!”
I look down at my missionary tag, and realize it is all coming to an end. This tag helped me be better than I was. It helped me have courage to speak to total strangers. It helped me find Carlos and his family. I smiled as I thought of Carlos and his mom being the first people at church on Sunday every Sunday. I remember the Spirit testifying to Elder Bronson and me in Carlos’ living room, that we had truly found a choice spirit of our Father in Heaven.
“It makes me so grateful to have been in the right place at the right time,” I say with tears streaming down my face. I have cried more today than I ever had.
“I think it was more than just being in the right place at the right time,” President Lopez said quietly. “I believe the Lord was waiting for two good missionaries to teach Carlos. He wasn’t going to just give Carlos to anybody.”
The tears are streaming now. I try to speak but I can’t. My emotions are killing me.
President Lopez continued, “The Lord’s time is a strange thing. I’ve tried to understand it, but you have to just let it happen. You and Elder Bronson were doing everything you were supposed to do, and it wasn’t working. You could have given up, but you didn’t. It was a test and you both passed.”
“I wanted to give up,” I interrupted.
The President laughed and said, “So have I, many times!”
“Carlos taught me so many things. He really helped define my mission. Every single day after meeting him, I tried really hard to let the Lord do his thing. I wasn’t going to let myself get in the way,” I say reflectively.
“Hopefully it will be a lesson you use the rest of your life,” the President said softly. “Thank you for sharing such a special story with me Elder Anderson.”
I nod my head and lean back in my chair. I look up at the clock, and realize we had been talking for 30 minutes. I knew the interview would have to end soon.
President Lopez proceeded to give me specific instructions to use for the rest of my life. He is calm as he tells me about temptations I will face once I am home. He gives me his advice, and asks me if I have any questions for him.
Can I stay another 2 years?
He asks me to kneel with him and have a word of prayer. He invites me to pray.
I can feel the tears in my throat.
“Nuestro Padre Celestial…”


No comments:
Post a Comment