Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Room A317 - 1.0



We arrived at 7:30am to room A317.

We were both excited and very nervous.  Two times before we had gone through this process, but this time felt a little different.  I knew Savanna was up for the labor, I didn’t know if I was.

Once we got settled, our nurse told us that the Doctor wanted to visit with us for a few minutes.  We were anxious and excited that the Doctor was already at the hospital.

Within a couple of minutes, our Doctor entered the room.  She is a great lady with a great presence about her.  You could tell she takes her job very seriously.  Her calm manner was very reassuring.

“Hello Savanna,” She said with a warm, caring smile.

“Hello,” Savanna responded.

The next 5 minutes were a blur.

The Doctor jumped right in to the reason she wanted to visit with us.  She couldn’t let us go through this labor without first understanding exactly what we were facing. 

When Savanna delivered our last baby, she suffered from Shoulder Dystocia.  Basically, the baby came out with her shoulders blocking the way.  This can potentially be very dangerous for baby and mom.  



Our Doctor went on to say that if we were to go through with having this baby vaginally, she would do everything she could while the baby was in the birth canal before taking the baby by C-Section.  She mentioned that the last result is to break the baby’s collarbones.

Break the baby’s collarbones?

Um, no thank you!

Savanna and I sat in silence.  I could feel some tears in my eyes, but tried to remain strong.  I knew how badly Savanna wanted to have this baby vaginally.

Our Doctor continued by stating that if we wanted to go through with a C-Section, she could do it within the half hour.

We had just arrived at the hospital.

I looked at Savanna, and I could tell she was concerned.

We asked the Doctor what her opinion was.  She said that doing the C-Section was the safest route, but that decision was up to us.  She went on to say that Savanna had a 25% chance of having our baby get stuck.

25% is a lot, 5% maybe, but not 25.

Our Doctor said she would let us talk it over for a few minutes before making the final decision.

She left us alone.

Nothing was said for what seemed like forever.  I didn’t know what to say, or how to say it.  I could remember the last delivery vividly:  

It was not pretty.  The poor baby was stuck, and the Doctor has twisting and pulling on the head like it was a doll.  I wasn’t prepared for that.  There was a lot of blood, and I could tell the Doctor and nurses were nervous.

I didn’t want to through that again.

I didn’t want them to break my son’s collarbones.

I didn’t want Savanna to go through any more pain than was needed to get our son here.

After having a very personal and private conversation with Savanna, we decided to talk to the Doctor one last time before we made our final decision.

Our Doctor walked back in the room with a strong spirit.  I was so thankful for people like her that dedicated their lives to helping others.  She wasn’t good at what she did, she was GREAT!

We asked her a couple of last minute questions.

The Doctor thought for a moment and said:

“Savanna, we will move forward with a vaginal delivery at your request, as long as you understand the risks.  I will break your water, and start the Pitocin.  I will put you on the Labor Curve,”

“What’s the Labor Curve?” I interrupted.

“If you don’t dilate a centimeter an hour, I will perform an emergency C-Section, no questions asked,” she looked at both of us.  “I will give you two hours."

We felt comforted by this.  We weren’t going to wait for Stockton to get in the birth canal to do the C-Section; we would do so way before, if Savanna wasn’t progressing.

“Let me check you real quick to see where you are at,” our Doctor said putting on some rubber gloves.  She did her thing and said, “you are currently dilated to a 4 and 70% effaced.  Let’s break your water and get you your epidural.  Once that is complete, I will check you again and start the Pitocin.”

I could feel my heart calming down.  I looked at Savanna, and I could tell she was feeling better about things.

“So, is that a plan?” the Doctor asked with her warm smile.

We both agreed, but prayed we would be able to have this baby vaginally.

Savanna getting ready to have the baby - she didn't want me taking this picture! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment