Thursday, January 5, 2012

Room A317 - 1.2



My lunch wasn’t great, but the dessert was fabulous!

Key Lime Pie.

I made my way back up to room A317 with a full, happy stomach.  Entering the room, I noticed that Savanna had the lights off, and was trying to get some rest.

“How are you doing,” I asked quietly.

Savanna smiled her famous smile and said, “Doing well.”

She never complained - why would she now?  Savanna was and always has been a champ!  I was proud of her, and continued to marvel at her strength.

I made myself comfortable in my chair in front of Savanna’s bed, and waited for something to happen.

I tried reading my book, but I couldn’t concentrate.

My mind kept wondering.

I kept saying little prayers that everything would be OK.

I watched Savanna as she slept.

She was beautiful.

I felt so lucky that she was the mother of our children.

Several minutes had passed when Savanna woke up with a worried look on her face.

“What’s wrong,” I asked.

“That hurts,” she replied closing her eyes while she took deep breaths.  I could tell she was feeling her contractions.

“Where does it hurt?” I asked trying to be as sensitive as possible.  I felt helpless.

She didn’t answer me.  She continued to take breaths.

My heart was racing.

I hated seeing her in pain.

“Ahhh - ohhhhh,” she groaned slowly.  I could see tears in the corners of her eyes.

“I will go get your nurse,” I left the room quickly.

I found our nurse, and together we raced back to room A317.

“Savanna, what’s going on?” She asked checking the monitor near the bed.

“I hurt,” Savanna replied with her eyes still closed.  I could tell it was more than just “hurt”, but Savanna wasn’t one to complain, or make things bigger than they were.

“Where does it hurt?”

Savanna slowly showed the nurse where the pain was hurting.

“You shouldn’t be feeling any of that,” the nurse said checking the print-out of contractions Savanna had passed the last hour. “Let me call the anesthesiologist, and have him come take a look.  Those are some big contractions that you shouldn't be feeling.”

My heart was beating so fast, I thought it was going to jump out of my chest.

“Let me check you real quick before he gets here, and see it you have dilated anymore,” she said putting on a plastic glove.

I said a silent prayer.  Once again, I felt completely helpless.  There was nothing I could do for Savanna, or our unborn baby.  It is very strange position to be in.

I could tell Savanna was in serious pain.  Her face was white, almost green. 

“Oh my gosh Savanna, You are completely dilated!” The nurse shouted with excitement. “You are ready to have this baby!”

I couldn't believe what I had just heard.  

I looked at Savanna.

She looked at me.

She had dilated all by herself.  Her body knew what to do, and got it done.  I was so dang proud of her.

“I will call your doctor immediately,” the nurse said putting her hand on Savanna’s forehead.  “You are one tough lady Savanna!  I'm so sorry you are feeling those contractions.  We will get you comfortable.”

Our nurse left in a hurry.  I walked up to Savanna and held her hand.

Stockton was on his way.

“I love you babe,” I whispered.  “I’m so proud of you!”

Savanna looked at me and smiled.  She still looked white, but was more beautiful than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment