I first read this book 2 years ago, and loved it. The 2008 Presidential election was one to be remembered. It was exciting to see a "new" candidate, who promised "real" change. It was interesting to see the country buy into one man and his message. Our country hadn't seen this type of excitement since John Kennedy became President. I voted for Barack Obama in 2008, and hoped he would bring the change I was hoping for. Although he hasn't lived up to the promises he made, this book captured the election process.
When I heard that there was a book being written about the 2008 election, I couldn't wait to read it. I bought the book as soon as it came out, and read it in about 2 weeks. I couldn't believe all the detail that was included in this book. I felt like I was a member of each campaign, sweating out the inevitable result.
After the 2012 election, I wanted to go back and read this book again. I read it in about 8 days, and loved it just as much the second time. Here are a few things I learned about each character:
1. Barack Obama is not the devil - just stop it everyone! He is actually a good man who cares about his wife and kids deeply.
2. Obama wasn't sure if he could win the Presidency initially.
3. The Clintons helped Obama early in his political career, causing Hillary to say about him: "This man is going places." Little did she know, they would fight tooth and nail for the right to represent the Democratic Party.
4. Obama is cocky.
5. When he threw his hat into the ring for President, he became a global celebrity.
6. Michelle Obama was against Barack running for President, in fear of what it would do to their family and daughters.
7. Obama never took anything too seriously. He liked to "wing-it", and go with the flow. This worried his team, as he was often unprepared for debates and important issues.
8. Although they never admitted it, the Obama Team used the "Race Card" as often as they could, making the race more difficult for his competitors.
9. Obama is not a terrorist.
10. Obama knew he would win the Presidency once McCain picked Palin as his running mate.
1. McCain's campaign was bankrupt.
2. McCain wasn't sure he wanted to be President.
3. McCain hated playing the "Political Game".
4. McCain LOVED to swear, and swear often. He had a short fuse that would go off on a moment's notice.
5. McCain loathed Obama.
6. McCain thought he would be running against Hillary, and was horrified when Obama won.
7. McCain's Team was a mess from day one, with no clear leadership.
8. McCain and his wife were on the rocks, and his campaign had to do all they could to hide this from the media.
9. McCain cheated regularly on his wife.
10. McCain felt relief when he lost. (This bothered me the most. Was he in it to win it? Did he care?)
1. Hillary is evil.
2. Hillary holds grudges, and never forgets.....EVER.
3. Hillary paid 5 million of her own money to stay in the race against Obama.
4. Hillary hated the media.
5. Hillary wanted to build a legacy with the Clinton name, like the Kennedy's.
6. Hillary was 100% convinced she would win the Presidency, no matter what.
7. Hillary will run again in 2016, and she will win.
8. Hillary is rich, spoiled, and looks down on the poor.
9. Hillary loved to scream.
10. Hillary was never seriously considered to be Obama's VP.
1. Palin wasn't vetted properly, and it had devastating consequences.
2. Palin believed it was God who had chosen her as John McCain's running mate.
3. Palin knew nothing about foreign policy.
4. Palin loved being a celebrity, but hated being a politician.
5. Palin carried around 5x7 note cards with her wherever she went.
6. Palin almost had a nervous breakdown. She had some real issues.
7. Palin was so unprepared to be VP. Had McCain won the election, She was one heart attack away from becoming President.
8. Palin as President is not a good thing.....holy cow, this would have been bad!
9. Palin LOVED Diet Dr. Pepper, and had to have it wherever she went.
10. Palin believes that she will one day be President, even after everything that has happened.
Overall, I would give this book 4 and half stars out of 5. If you want to learn about the people behind the faces you saw on TV, this book is for you.
There is a sequel to Game Change being written about the 2012 Presidential Election.
I.
Can't.
Wait.





No comments:
Post a Comment