I hung up the phone from speaking to the girl I was planning on marrying in a couple of months. I hadn’t asked her yet, but had a plan in the works. She had called to say that her and her parents were going to swing by my place and pick me up. They had something important they wanted to talk to me about. She had spent the better part of the afternoon at a doctor’s appointment for her back. I asked her how it went, and She said that’s what they wanted to talk to me about. Before hanging up, she told me I had nothing to worry about, and that everything was fine.
Famous last words
I sat by the front window unable to hold still. I was anxious and very nervous. Even though she said I had nothing to worry about, I was worrying. I stood up a few times and paced the front room. Nothing I did made the time go by any faster. Right before I was about to go crazy, they pulled up the driveway. She jumped out of the car and came to the door.
She. Was. Beautiful.
I opened the door, and could tell that something was off. She pushed herself through the door, kissed me and told me not to worry.
What, me worry?
Slowly I shut the door and walked with her back to her parent’s car. The moment I got in the car, I could sense that something was definitely off. Her parents were talkative but quiet at the same time. I kept looking at her mom trying to see if I could catch anything from her expressions. She wasn’t giving me anything. The doctor’s appointment didn’t come up once. I don’t remember what else we could have talked about, but the drive back to their house lasted forever!
As we all got out of the car, she grabbed my hand. She looked in my eyes and smiled, almost as if she was trying to tell me something.
We all walked into the house. To my surprise, the whole family was there. They asked everyone to please gather in the family room. One by one, her sisters came into the room and sat down. It felt like all eyes were on me. I tried to smile and keep my cool, but I was a dead giveaway. She came and sat by me on the couch. She grabbed my hand. I knew something was wrong, I could feel it.
Her dad began to speak. I couldn’t understand what he was saying. All I heard was:
Back - Scoliosis - Serious - Surgery - Rods - Screws - Now
Huh? Did I hear him right?
I sat in silence. I tried smiling. I could feel tears swelling up in my eyes.
Please DON’T cry!
“Are you ok?” her mom asked me.
No
I acted calm and collected. I had to make sure I understood what I had just heard. She was going to need surgery on her back?
Correct.
She has severe scoliosis?
Correct.
We needed to act fast?
Correct.
So we can’t get married right away like we had planned?
Silence...
Correct.
Her parents told me that she would need to wait for at least 8 months to a year before even thinking about getting married. My heart stopped, and I realized how serious all of this was. There would be no way we could marry in 2 months like we had hoped to. The girl I loved, and wanted to spend forever with was going to need back surgery. Not just any back surgery, but major back surgery. How did I not know she had scoliosis? Had she ever talked to me about it? Did I not listen? I kept looking at her. She looked fine. She was amazingly beautiful. How could something so wrong happen to someone so perfect?
Are you OK?
Her dad asked me my thoughts. I didn’t have any. I was just worried and confused. I told them that if surgery is what she needed, then she needed to do it. What more could I say?
Inside I was screaming
Her dad told me it was important to them that I was on board. I don’t think I had a choice really. What could I have said to change any of it? I didn't want to lose her.
I asked to be excused, and walked out the front door to get some air. I started crying immediately. My mind was racing. I didn’t understand all that was happening. I called my mom, and sat on the curb opposite Her house. My Mom probably thought someone had died by my crying. After explaining to her what I knew, Mom expressed her love for us both. Mom told me that surgery was the only answer, and that everything would work itself out.
I had a good cry. She saw me sitting outside, and came out to join me. I hurry and wiped the tears away. She sat beside me and laid her head on my shoulder. She asked me if I was OK. I didn’t answer, but asked how she was doing with it all. She had such perspective on the whole thing. I was amazed. My love grew for her in ways I can’t express sitting on that curb.
We reassured each other that we would do all we could to get through this. I told her how much I loved her, and just wanted her to be healthy. We walked back into her house. Her family was still sitting there. Her parents had love in their eyes as we talked some more about the situation. I could tell that we were all feeling the same feelings. We were all in this together.
She was going to have this surgery, and we were going to be there to support her no matter what.
Two days later I put a ring on her finger!
I was OK.
No comments:
Post a Comment