Monday, May 16, 2011

Mylee Smiley 1.0



Do you have any idea how incredible you have made my life?  You have brought nothing but happiness into my world.  How did I luck out, and get you?  You are my Mylee Jayne, and you always will be.

Mom and I had a hard time thinking of a name to name you.  Trust me, we both had our lists:

Peyton
Kennedy
McKenzie

I could go on and on.

I have always loved the name Mylee.  Every person I have ever known with the name Mylee has been nice and sweet.  Especially the little girl I grew up with that lived next door.  I was five years old when she was born.  She was a sweet little baby.  I was fascinated with her.  I am the youngest in my family, so I ddin’t get to have a younger brother or sister.  Miley’s mom would let me hold her all the time (Miley’s older brother was my best friend…that deserves its own post).  I got to watch Miley grow up.  It was fun.

When I found out we were going to have another girl, I knew in my heart you would be my Mylee.  I didn’t tell your Mom right away because I knew she would instantly think of Miley Cyrus.  I’m not a fan of Ms. Cyrus, and I worried that her reputation would ruin the opportunity to name you Mylee.

I waited for the perfect moment to tell your Mom I liked the name Mylee.  She didn’t like it at first.  I instantly started to defend my choice.  She wasn’t having it.  I had lost round 1.  How was I going to bring it up with her again?

A few more weeks passed, and your Mom brought up the topic of your name.  She gave me her favorites, and I didn’t like any of them.  I waited until she was done.  She asked me if I had thought of any new names for you.  I quickly responded:

Mylee

She rolled her eyes, and said she wasn’t sure.  Once again I defended my choice.  She wasn’t hearing it.  I lost again.  I started to feel that I would never get my Mylee.  What was I supposed to do?

A couple of weeks later, we again were talking about names.  Your Mom had picked her favorite, and she asked me again what my favorite was.  I answered:

Mylee

This time I wasn’t met with rolling eyes or an immediate dismissal.  She thought for a second and replied:

That’s cute

I had her!  She didn’t know it yet, but I wasn’t going to give up.  I wanted my Mylee!

As the weeks went on, and your arrival date was getting closer, I started calling you Mylee every time you were brought up.  I figured the more times I said the name, the easier it would be to convince Mom.
You’ll never guess what happened next….

One day your Mom called you Mylee!  I think it was a slip of the tongue, but she said it.

Mylee

The conversations changed from that point on.  She started asking me how I would spell it, and what would be your middle name. 

I won!

When you were born, you were 100% Mylee.  You were our Mylee.  And you know what?  We both can’t imagine you being named anything else. 

Mylee, you take my breath away.  Your kisses before I go to work are priceless.  When I come home at night, and you come running through the garage to meet me….I feel like the luckiest Dad in the world.

Mylee, you are my Mylee and I love you!

Dad 

No comments:

Post a Comment